About two weeks ago when Rebeks and I went to her specialist appointment we discovered that somehow she had managed to lose all the glorious weight she'd gained last month. She had started to walk and had a cough and cold so perhaps these are the reasons why. Either way, I was wondering if you mothers out there have any suggestions for picky eaters, or for high calorie, easy (non junk) foods, ways to sneak in extra calories, creative (as in possibly more interesting to little kids) snacks, etc. I do add butter to veggies, eggs, etc. but other than that I either forget I have to calorie-up the food or it already has butter, etc. in it so I don't think about it.
On top of all this Rebekah is becoming a picky eater which is NOT something that she can afford weight wise. I am becoming increasingly stressed about this and and am praying for help in being creative with food and for patience. Along with any ideas/advice for things that have worked for you, prayers would be appreciated for Rebekah. On Friday her PCP said that she wants Rebekah to go to an Endocrinologist just to make sure there is nothing wring with growth hormone levels, and whatever else they will have to test. It's such a blessing that I know Bishop Haymond, who is one of the best there is. That is a silver lining in all this, knowing that by seeing doctors at the Children's Hospital Rebekah is seeing some of the best out there and that if something is to be found, other than just a small gal, they, if anyone, can find it.
9 comments:
Susannah, you are such a great mom and "Rebeks" (cute!) is so lucky to have you as her mom. I know you are doing the best you can and any ideas I might have, I'm sure you've already tried. Whole milk yogurt and not-low-fat cottage cheese come to mind. What about tuna? Elliott loves tuna helper-the macaroni and cheese flavor. Or once I made a "house" out of crackers on his tray that stuck because the foundation was a pile of tuna...okay so it still didn't work. He would eat the sides of the crackers that hadn't touched the tuna. How about chicken nuggets and fish sticks from the freezer section at the store? Lasagne. Grilled cheese sandwiches slathered in butter? gee now you know what I feed my son! Eating is a struggle for him too, just in a different way. I miss you! Will you be in Houston the first week of January?
S,try the Peanut Butter Moo'd Jamba juice. Babies love straws, chocolate, bananas, so..should be great, also friend, I like. They are not hard to make at home:
P-B
frozen yogurt
Bananas
Milk (Vit D)
Chocolate syrup
Gee, I think that is all. But, try something like that. Good luck, we love you and I think that guy just didn't like his pants. As per Alma's blog. Ciao~
You are blessed to know the Haymonds! I had the opposite problem with my boys They had both hit 20 lbs by 6 months! But I like Madelyn's suggestions. Good luck.
Riley's high-calorie staples are full-fat cottage and cheddar melted on bread (preferably spread with pizza sauce). If she's been particularly picky, I try to beef her up by spoon feeded her sesame seed butter (since we're holding off on peanuts)...
hey susannah - we've never had this problem with the kids but what about bacon and eggs (even scrambled with cheese) for breakfast? high in fat and calories but also high in protein. that's all i could think of that isn't pure sugar that hasn't been mentioned. i'm so sorry for what you must be going through. mealtime is stressful enough without worrying about if your child is eating enough. you're such a great mom! we'll keep you in our prayers.
Sue I was walking through the grocery store this morning and I noticed in the freezer section they have breakfast sausage patties. I remember buying them once a long time ago when Miles was a baby. He loved them. Bex maybe would like those. If not I know Nelson will love them. Eric did.
I was just talking to my VT and she has the same problem with her 3rd (he's only 6 months old) she adds a scoop formula to everything. I don't know if you have some, but it's an idea.
Maybe give her whole milk with a scoop of formula added to it...that should beef up the calories. And make sure she drinks 3 full sippy cups a day (that's what my ped. tells me to do, because she thinks my kids need to add on more weight- weird!) Trust your instincts too. If you think she's healthy, she probably is.
I know one day you'll post again....=) miss you
Post a Comment