Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Oh what a night

Lately I've realized that in the evenings, say around 7:30 or 8:00 after Rebekah is asleep, I feel that the day is finally over and that I can now relax, take a load off, and change into my pajamas. I mean come on now, it's only flippin' 7:30 in the evening and I am trying to put on PJs? It's not as if I am tired or planning to go to bed anytime soon. I know it's more comfortable but it came to my attention and I realized that, as it was a Friday night, I have no life anymore. My life surrounds my child. Not only my life but my social life as well. Please do not get the wrong idea. I am absolutely thrilled that I am able to stay at home with Rebekah each day. It's all I've ever wanted and planned for. I just simply realized that life ends at 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. This may just be a symptom from not having gone on a date with Nelson in a very long time.
This is not something I recommend. We try to get around it by doing normal adult things, with Rebekah in tow. This is proving, in some instances, to work out fine. And then in others, as in going to see the movie "National Treasure 2" with my family over Christmas break, and ending up having a stranger ask me to leave with Rebekah, having her repeatedly cry, scream ,etc. trying to bribe her into silence with $4.00 a box movie theatre candy, and then ending up spending half the time in the family bathroom or in the hall.
This led me to attempt to see the movie a second time (because I actually wanted to see the entire thing), this time with Nelson, and Rebekah of course. I figured that I would be able to see the parts I missed and if she was having a hard time, I would be able to break out during the parts I had already seen. Once again we were told to be quiet. Rebekah did not do well, $4.00 boxes of candy and licorice aside. We left the theatre so many times. When I say we I mean Rebekah and me. Nelson was not there to see it the first time, so it was only natural that I would be the one to take her out, as I had seen at least half of it already. Once we were out Rebekah would walk around, throw snacks on the floor (which I promptly cleaned up), and then decide she wanted to see daddy again. This is why there were so many trips in and out. Near the end of the movie I was trying to stay in the theatre, to the side by the entrance. The scene playing showed water rushing in a room so naturally Rebekah starts shouting "AGUA, AGUA!" over and over. Another trip to the hallway.
This was the least relaxing movie I have ever been to, except perhaps a horror film I went to in college with my sister and her boyfriend. He had to sit between us because neither of us liked scary movies. I was so freaked that I was literally almost sitting on him. Poor guy. Memory lane aside, I will not be attempting the family movie go again for quite some time.

5 comments:

Sophia Crane said...

Lol, your story reminds me why we stopped going to see movies with Cameron in tow when he was about 6 months; it just wasn't worth the $10+ dollars we spent for me to watch half a movie & stand in the hall. I am glad that you finally updated your blog.

Kathryn said...

I'm impressed you even TRIED taking R to the movies! Have you checked out Angelika's Crybaby Matinee?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hear you girl! We were asked to leave Narnia when Zach started running laps.

gollyjess said...

S,same thing during Shrek 3. Alma always tries to get us to go to the movies with him, and Little A and I say, take a hike, Mike, we're outta here.

The Kerr Family said...

Yeah, the last movie we took Miles to was CARS. Gray was about 3 months old. We haven't been back. We're so behind in movies.