Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hello Great White North



My little family and I went up to Aspen Grove in Provo for a family reunion last week. We had so much fun. I'm so glad that we were able to rearrange things for Nelson so that he could come with us. Aspen Grove is this awesome family camp up in the Utah Mountains. It has activities planned for everyone (honestly, even for the kids) all day long. Rebekah went to a little day care there each day so she could play with the kiddies her age and so that we could participate in the actitivies for adults. It is a really neat place and it's linked with BYU so almost all the workers are BYU students. It was comforting to know that all the kids were being left with safe, good people. Rebekah did well, and only had a break down on one of the days.
Nelson and I went hiking, learned how to make pottery (hopefully it made it home in one piece), did a high ropes course, played tons of badminton, swam, did archery, and several other things. The ropes course was scary. You had to climb up a verticle log, transition onto a rock wall up in the air, and then connect yourself and walk along these cables that were up in the trees. *Whoo* I was shaking so badle and my stomach hurt for at least a half hour afterwards. I'm glad I did it, but doubt I'll ever do it again. Nelson had a blast with the badminton. He'd never even heard of it before, let alone played it, but he quickly became crazy about it and he and some of my siblings/in-laws started playing it for several hours in the evening. Se'd actually stake out a court and as soon as dinner was over they were plying.
One of the silly, but fun things that I did was learn to play shuffle board. That was fun, and oddly enough I really wanted to learn. The next thing on my list of odd sports to learn in Curling. No joke. Anyone know of a place in H* to do this????

After a week at Aspen grove Nelson returned home and Rebekah and I headed to Canada to continue our visit with some of my family. It's been fun so far, though in truth there isn't much to do in the exact area where I'm from. I grew up in Southern Alberta where there are a LOT of cows and farms. Everywhere you go you see farm fields ready to be harvested. It has it's own beauty, and it's so amazingly flat. The sky is so clear at night, what with us being so up North and with there being virtually no light pollution, or pollution in general. The stars shine so bright at night and you can see so many it's almost unbelievable. Because the land it so flat so get to see the sky from every direction, from the ground up and back to the ground on the other side. What I mead is that as far as your eyes will let you see, you see the beautiful evening sky and STARS. It is one a the things I miss most about here. The stars and sky.

Behold the feedlot. Now just imagine the smell.


It's flat, I tell ya.


A beautiful sunset.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm glad you guys are having fun....but when do you come home?
We are going to try and plan a Girls Night Out before I leave on the 16th- so you better be home!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Aspen Grove sounds so awesome! Hope you're having fun in Canada. I miss you!

Kathryn said...

Our fam has had a few reunions at Aspen Grove. We should try to coordinate reunions next time!

Nicole said...

Hey Susannah! It's Nicole Richardson here, remember me? I somehow came across your blog, hope you don't mind. Jason and I bought a house up in Humble, but you can read all about it on my blog:
therichardsonempire.blogspot.com
I'm so glad I found your blog and can see what you guys have been up to!

April said...

If you find a place to learn curling I'll come take classes with you! I want to be a Canadian, you know. I think knowing how to play would be an asset to my application, LOL!