Right now I'm listening to a song by the Buena Vista Social Club, an incredible Cuban group. Of the many things that do not thrill me about Texas, one of the things that does is the multicultural-ness of it. Houston is gigantic, so obviously there are people from every country and every culture living here. Being in a mixed marriage I have a unique view into another culture and I love almost all of it. When I first moved here I immediately met my friend Janie. She is from Mexican descent, raised in the Valley (southern Texas, very close to the border.) Knowing NOTHING about the Hispanic culture (seriously, I think she was the first Hispanic person I'd ever formally met) she was able to introduce me to many new things, one being Latin dancing. I have always loved dancing, I mean seriously loved it, in a way that my heart aches a little when I see professional dancers dancing, etc. I danced for about seven years when I was younger but stopped due to a few reasons. I have always regretted this, but I digress. Back to Salsa, Meringue, etc.
So Janie was a cutie and danced well. She introduced me to several people in the singles ward who were also Hispanic (one being named Nelson.) We would go to dances and also to parties where I slowly got the courage to try and learn. The basic steps are not difficult but I needed to learn more then just how to dance in a circle with a bunch of other girls. One of them said "Hey, you should have Nelson teach you, he's a good dancer." So I approached him, shyly. (Anyone who has met me even ONCE should burst out laughing at the thought of me being shy. Shy, me?!!) He started to teach me to Latin dance and I am so glad he did, 'cause I love it!
Another thing that I like about having moved to Texas is that I have been introduced to real Mexican food, a thing that I hated my entire life. Seriously, it was to the point that when my whole family (quite large, I might add) would go out to eat at a Mexican restaurant I would walk, by myself, so any other restaurant close by to eat.) So after a history like that imagine my surprise when I discover that the food I was eating wasn't at all what real Mexican tastes like. Ha! Fantastic, I love good food! And speaking of good food, 2 things: 1) Turkish food is FANTASTIC. If you like Greek, and I do, try Turkish. If it's not good, you've gone to the wrong restaurant, I promise. 2) Brekke had better bring me along next time she goes to a festival, especially if there's darn good ethnic food involved!
2 comments:
I don't think any of us thought that we liked Mexican food, when our only option was Taco Time. I, too, fell in love with Mexican food during my time in Texas. I find that I'm craving it all the time here in NC. You'll have to bring some authentic food with you when you visit in the Spring.
Okay! I promise I won't forget you next time there's a festival!
Post a Comment